Thursday, March 10, 2016

News Release - Winnipeg Police Service

Winnipeg Police Service

Thursday, March 10, 2016

 
Winnipeg Police Chief Devon Clunis announces retirement

I became a police officer out of a great desire to make a difference in our community. My career has given me enormous opportunities to fulfill that desire and it is that same desire for making a difference that caused me to apply for the position of Chief of Police.

When I was sworn in as Chief of Police on November 2nd, 2012 I declared that we will make a difference in preventing crime and disorder in our city by working together. By raising the consciousness of our community, in understanding that much of our crime is socially constructed and that only by addressing the social roots of crime, will we see a cost effective, sustainable answer to crime.

There are a lot of good things happening in our organization with a lot of attention focused on moving forward as we occupy our new headquarters. Things are progressing well and the future for the organization is on solid ground. 

Over the past year I've been contemplating my future as Chief. I took on the job with specific goals in mind, wanting to transform the nature of policing in our city and to enhance the work environment for our members.

My policing career has always been about purpose and over the past year it has become increasingly clear to me that my purpose has been fulfilled with the support of all our members, past and present. It is time for me to pursue new goals, with the continuing purpose of impacting people in very positive ways. 

I will be retiring from the Service in the near future.  I am prepared to continue serving until a new Chief has been selected, which I hope will be within the next several months. 

It has been my honour to work with Mayor Brian Bowman, Winnipeg Police Board chair Scott Gillingham, and the exceptional men and women of the Winnipeg Police Service. It has been my exceptional good fortune to serve the people of the City of Winnipeg.

Thank you for working with me in creating a culture of safety for all.

 

For further information contact either:
Constable Jason Michalyshen, Public Information Officer
Constable Eric Hofley, Public Information Officer
Kelly Dehn, Manager of Public Affairs


Phone: (204) 986-3061 | Fax: (204) 986-3267 | Email:
WPS-PIO@Winnipeg.ca

Share this mailing with your social network by clicking on the appropriate link:   Facebook  Twitter 

Related

Winnipeg Police Service

Report a Crime Online

Crime Stoppers

CrimeStat

Unsubscribe

If you do not want to receive these emails anymore, unsubscribe.

Please do not reply to this email. This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address and replies are not monitored.

Mailing address: City of Winnipeg, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3B 1B9

Privacy Statement

The City of Winnipeg values your privacy. We do not sell or share your personal information with third parties. You are receiving this email as a result of your signing up for the Winnipeg Police Service Email News list offered on the City of Winnipeg website. You may unsubscribe or change your subscription options at any time.


No comments: